This morning I woke up and somehow I had turned 25.
I am not sure I should be allowed to turn 25 because honestly there are some days that I try to brush my teeth with my lipgloss tube. #HelloJetLag
I had so many assumptions growing up that 25 was this magical number in which I would find myself with a husband, home and children. For my Northern friends… that’s a normal southern dream! I’m not entirely crazy. Yet, here I am with none of those things and I’m surprisingly okay with it. Let’s not mention the calls at 2am to my mom in which I sob that my ovaries are surely shriveling up.
So what better way to ring in my 25th year than to list in no particular order the 25 things I’ve learned.
- It’s okay to stand up for yourself. It’s not mean or unladylike.
- Washing a pen with your uniform dresses will not turn out great.
- Surround yourself with people you actually like
- Don’t be afraid to end relationships (romantic or otherwise) that don’t enrich your life.
- Love is a choice more than a feeling.
- Parents are God’s gift to mankind.
- Take the time to do things that make you smile no matter how silly it might be.
- Folding a fitted sheet will never make sense.
- It’s okay to cry in your to Ed Sheeran’s song, “Photograph” whenever you get homesick.
- Eating right makes you feel better even though eating pizza 4 times a week sounds oh so tempting.
- Hurt people hurt people.
- Don’t let other people’s opinions shape your identity.
- Just because your normal is different doesn’t make it inferior. #IWasBornInTheWrongCentury
- Keep your promises. If you say you’ll be there at 2:30… be there at 2:30.
- Seeing a show in London is better than buying expensive new shoes.
- You don’t have to talk to fill the silence… it’s okay to just be.
- Audrey Hepburn is and always will be EVERYTHING.
- Ditch the small talk and have some good soul conversations.
- Keep learning even if that only looks like reading as many books as you can get your hands on.
- Burning a candle and taking a bubble bath fixes just about everything.
- Don’t try to have a logical conversation before drinking coffee.
- Say to yourself 5 things that you’re thankful for when you get stressed and upset.
- Do NOT get bangs if you have curly hair. STOP THAT!
- It’s okay to not be okay… it will get better.
- You are stronger than you know, beautiful in your own way, loved and cherished by our Heavenly Father, known and accepted by the most wonderful family and you have a pretty awesome boyfriend. Go kill this year Christena.